Signs that your cat may have a sensitive stomach
- Changes in stool
- Sudden weight loss
- Skin problems
- Excessive Gas
- Loss of appetite
What causes sensitive stomachs in cats?
- Food intolerance. A cat may develop intolerance from the artificial ingredients added to their food, meat byproducts, and dairy products
- Hairballs. Passing hairs swallowed when a cat is grooming itself through the digestive system may take days. This may make your cat vomit as a way of getting rid of the fur swallowed
- Eating rubbish. It is not uncommon for cats to eat bizarre items like wool, feathers, and strings. These foreign objects when swallowed may cause digestive problems to your cat and he may develop a sensitive stomach.
- Some food types. Many foods prepared for humans are toxic to cats. For instance, excess tuna or liver may cause a sensitive stomach to your kitty. Excess tuna may cause heavy metal poisoning while excess liver may result in Vitamin A toxicity. Most cats are lactose intolerant hence you should be careful not to give dairy products to your cat.
- Eating more on portion size. Could be the food tastes great and your kitty can’t stop eating even when full. This may result in overfilling the stomach which may cause diarrhea.
- Infections and diseases. Your cat may not be sensitive but instead, have an underlying medical condition. Some diseases have symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea and can be easily mistaken with symptoms for a sensitive stomach. Therefore, it is important to visit the vet regularly to rule out any underlying medical conditions before it is too late.
- Age-related changes. A cat’s needs change with age. You may find that your senior cat is reacting to food that he fed when he was younger. That is why it is important to get wellness cat food for seniors since they have what senior cats need.
- Parasites and worms. Parasites that affect a cat’s digestive system may affect the digestive system and give symptoms common in cats with sensitive stomachs. Therefore, it is important to deworm your cat as advised by the vet.
How can I help to alleviate a sensitive stomach for my cat?
- Rehydrate your cat. Encourage your cat to drink more water. A cat experiencing vomiting and diarrhea loses alot of body fluids and may get dehydrated. Here are ways to encourage your cat to drink more water
- Feed your cat plain food
- Avoid dry food since they are highly processed and may cause dehydration
- Reduce portion size and feed more small portions at regular intervals through the day
- Change your cat’s diet. Feeding the same food can cause intolerance
- Feed at regular intervals a controlled amount of food.
- Brush your cat’s coat regularly to help reduce hairballs
- Deworm your cat
- Avoid low quality food and treats
- For a senior cat, adjust to senior cat foods
What should you look for in the best wet cat food for sensitive stomach?
- Natural ingredients with no artificial additives added
- High protein animal protein, preferable as a single source
- Healthy fats
- Easily digestible carbohydrates
- Complete and balanced nutrition
- Fortified with supplements beneficial to the cat, for example, probiotics
- No meal byproducts
Here is a review of the 3 best wet cat food for sensitive stomach
Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition Digest Sensitive is formulated for cats over 1 year old who has a sensitive stomach. The highly digestible proteins are suitable for cats with a sensitive digestive system in that they help the cat to absorb the nutrients better. Also, it helps in decreasing the cat’s stool odor.
The high-quality protein helps in maintaining a lean muscle mass hence ideal for maintaining a healthy weight for your kitty. This diet is blended with vitamins and minerals that your cat requires to promote a healthy immune and digestive system. It can be a perfect complement to Royal Canin Digestive Care Dry Cat Food.
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Cat Food is a good source of prebiotic fiber that is a source of beneficial gut bacteria. This gut bacterial aids in food digestion and is also great at promoting your cat’s healthy immune system. This food is highly digestible and easy to absorb nutrients hence perfect for cats with a sensitive stomach
The diet is fortified with Vitamin E and Omega 6 fatty acids that are perfect in promoting a healthy skin and shiny coat for your furry baby. The food is made in the USA with only natural ingredients. It is the No 1 Veterinarian recommended for cats with a sensitive stomach.
Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin & Stomach Classic is made from high-quality real duck hence a great source of protein. It is fortified with essential minerals and vitamins including taurine. Taurine promotes eye and heart health.
This diet is formulated to support healthy skin and coat for your cat. It is highly digestible hence a perfect diet for cats with sensitive stomachs. There no added colors, preservatives or flavors hence you are assured that you are feeding your feline baby high-quality food.