Is your senior cat skinny? Do you feel that he needs to add weight? If yes, then a high calorie cat food for senior cats is the answer. Senior cats do not metabolize food as efficiently as younger cats. Hence, they would need to eat on high-calorie foods to ensure that their nutritional needs are met.
What are the major causes of weight loss in older cats?
Hyperthyroidism is very common in cats. It is whereby the thyroid gland is producing more thyroid hormone than is required by the body. This is common as cats get older. It may be signified by a cat feeding normally or even more but is losing weight.
- Kidney disease can result in weight loss in cats of all ages hence requiring the cat to feed on a high-calorie diet
- Anxiety and stress
- Gastrointestinal problems such as diarrhea, vomiting, gastroenteritis, and pancreatitis
- Dental problems. Very common in senior cats and can prevent the cat from feeding well
- Cancer and heart diseases
- Intestinal and stomach parasites
What should you look for in the best high calorie cat food for senior cats?
- Look for cat food specifically formulated for cats that need to add weight
- High-calorie food has a high protein content. Look for food that has a percentage protein that you are comfortable with to feed your cat
- Avoid food that has very high-fat content. It may cause health problems for your cat.
- Look for balanced food. It should have an AAFCO nutritional adequacy statement for your cat’s life stage.
- Avoid carbohydrates. Most cat parents assume that their fur babies will gain calories from carbohydrates. On the contrary, cats do not process carbohydrates efficiently. For a cat to gain weight healthily, feed protein-rich food.
Here is a review of 5 best high calorie cat food for senior cats
- It is one of the best high calorie cat food perfect for senior cats.
- Its main ingredient is a high-quality freeze-dried raw chicken. Therefore, it’s rich in proteins and doesn’t have any grain content.
- It also has probiotics and omegas that promote healthy digestion and a healthy coat respectively.
- It has no meat by-products, corn, wheat, soy, artificial colors, and preservatives. Yet, it has a delicious flavor that would excite picky cats and senior cats who have lost their sense of taste.
- The first ingredient is chicken. High-quality protein to help your cat maintain strong muscles even in their old age
- It has wholesome whole grains (brown rice) that are a great source of carbohydrates that provide the energy requirements for your cat. Also has garden veggies and fruit to promote a balanced diet
- It has taurine to promote heart and eye health, especially in aging cats. It is also enhanced with vitamins and minerals essential to your cat.
- Blended with essential antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that are carefully selected to promote a healthy immune system of your aging kitty
- It has no chicken by-products, corn, wheat, soy, artificial preservatives or flavor hence the best food
- The main ingredient is chicken and rice
- It has balanced nutrition to sustain vital organ health in senior cats
- It is made of high-quality protein to help old cats maintain a lean muscle
- All the ingredients are easily digestible hence the perfect cat food for older cats with digestive problems
- Blended with clinically proven antioxidants and Vitamin C and E to support your old kitty’s immunity
- It can be used as a dry topper or fed as a full meal
- All the ingredients are natural ingredients that you can trust
- The main ingredient is Chicken and Rice
- It is fortified with live probiotics to support a healthy digestive and immune system
- Also has Vitamin A, Omega 6 fatty acid and linoleic acid to promote healthy skin and coat
- Well balanced nutrition for old cats
- The main ingredient is chicken. A high-quality protein that helps your senior cat maintain muscle
- High-quality wet cat for made with natural ingredients
- Has a good source of natural fiber that helps reduce hairballs and ease digestion in old cats
- Fortified with Vitamin E and Omega 6 fatty acids to promote healthy skin and coat.