How do cat foods help in preventing hairballs formation?
Minimize shedding. It is natural for cats to shed. However, giving your cat food rich in ingredients that promote skin and coat health in your cat will reduce shedding and decrease the amount of fur swallowed by your kitty.
Healthy digestion. Feed your cat food that is easy to digest. Protein-rich and foods fortified with probiotics and prebiotics are the best cat food for hairballs and vomit since they ease digestion. The main idea is to remove the hair in your cat’s tummy before clumps to forms a ball or tube
Good bowel movement. Feed your cat with cat food that makes the movement of bowel through the digestive system easier. A cat with a regular bowel movement is less likely to suffer from hairballs since there are a few strands of fur in the gut to form a hairball.
What should you look for when buying the best cat food for hairballs and vomiting?
1. Protein-rich diet.
Buy food with high quality meat as the first ingredient. The protein-rich diet promotes healthy skin and coat hence reduces shedding
2. Fiber content.
Choose between dietary and insoluble fibers for your cat. Dietary fibers ease bowel movement and also have nutrients while insoluble fibers are for better poop with minimum nutritional value
A diet rich in antioxidants has a blend of veggies and fruit such as cranberries.
4. Food consistency.
Look for dry or wet cat food with different patterns, thickness, and shapes of kibble with small chunks of vegetables, fruit or meat for easy digestion. The cat food market offers a wide range of products to prevent hairballs and vomiting in cats.
Here is a review of the best cat food for hairballs and vomiting
- The first ingredient is real chicken meat with brown rice. This high-quality protein helps your cat maintain strong muscles
- Has whole grains, garden vegetables, and fruit that offer a great natural source of fiber hence easing bowel movement. This helps to minimize hairballs formation in the gut. If the hair stays in the stomach, it ends up regurgitating and vomiting
- Fortified with Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids to promote healthy skin and coat hence minimizing shedding
- Blended with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, carefully selected by animal nutritionists, to promote a healthy immune system and a healthy oxidative balance.
- With this diet, you are assured that it is formulated for the health and wellbeing of your fur baby in mind. It does not have chicken by-product meals, corn, soy, wheat, artificial flavors or preservatives.
- The first ingredient is a real turkey
- This diet is the best cat food for cats with sensitive stomachs
- Perfect for cats with a sensitive stomach that could be throwing up with non-hairball related issues. It is easy to digest and is loaded with nutrients essential for your kitty
- The high protein level helps your cat maintain healthy muscles.
- Loaded with antioxidants to promote a strong immune system and Omega fatty acids that promote healthy skin and coat and minimize shedding
- This dry food helps remove plaque buildup hence helps in reducing teeth problems.
- The first ingredient is savory chicken that helps your cat maintain a healthy muscle mass.
- Fortified with Omega 6 and Vitamin E to promote healthy skin and a shiny coat hence reduces shedding.
- Supports a complete urinary health in adult cats
- This wet cat food is made with 100% natural ingredients in the USA. It has enough moisture content hence prevents dehydration in your cat
- It has a naturally rich flavor that would entice a senior cat
- Has natural fibers that ease your cat’s digestion and promotes bowel movement hence prevents hairball formation.
- Packed with essential vitamins and minerals that help your cat’s urinary system. Hence it is perfect cat food for urinary tract infection
- This dry kibble cat food is made with natural fiber to ease digestion and reduce the formation of hairballs in senior cats.
- Has Vitamin E and Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids to promote healthy skin and fur hence reducing shedding.
- Fortified with taurine to promote a healthy heart and also has balanced essential minerals to promote a healthy kidney and bladder.
- Made in the USA with natural global ingredients that you can trust
- This is the best diet for a cat with extreme and recurring problem with hairballs and vomiting
- Helps cats move hairs swallowed in their stomachs through the digestive system. It is blended with dietary fibers that help your kitty digest food better. It is also preferred for cats with sensitive stomachs
- Offers a balanced diet for your fur baby as it is fortified with vitamins and minerals
- The Omega Fatty acids in this cat food promote healthy skin and coat thus reducing shedding.
- It’s a bit pricy
- The first ingredient is the duck meat. This high-quality protein is rich in amino acids and flavor.
- Has low glycemic ingredients such as lentils, chickpeas, and sweet potato.
- Blended with patented BC30 Probiotic (Bacillus Coagulans) that promotes a healthy gut flora. It is a lactic acid-producing bacteria that helps in food digestion and metabolism regulation.
- This diet is perfect for weight management due to its low carbohydrates level
- Made in small morsels shaped disks with texture and taste that cat’s love. As the cat chews these morsels, it prevents the buildup of tartar and plaque hence promoting dental health
- The first ingredient is real chicken
- Has ingredients rich in natural fibers which ease digestion and helps reduce hairballs formation
- Fortified with vitamins, minerals and essential nutrients for your cat.
- Very affordable hence a offers value for your money while on a tight budget
- Doesn’t have grains hence a perfect diet for overweight cats
What do Vets advice on cat’s hairballs?
- They are more common in cat breeds with long hair that in cats with short hair
- A hairball throws up is common once a month or in some instances once every two weeks.
- Hairballs are common when a cat is shedding his coat